Comments on the beer at YouTube

To date there have been 10, 650 views of the fulacht video on YouTube (produced by BigYes). Later this week we’ll be attending the launch of ‘Dining and Dwelling’ – the 6th monograph in the NRA monograph series, which will see the formal publication of our beer theory. Here’s a flavour of the comments from YouTube. You can view the video on our YouTube channel at this link:

elpoulpo (2 years ago)

Awesome video ! My brewmate and I constantly argue about technical details for the best pico-brewing design and then THIS ! The beauty of the simplicity. Thanks a million!

BeeRich33 (2 years ago)

Measure your starting gravity and terminal gravity, you can find out what ABV you achieved.

MadLuplin (1 year ago)

When did you add the bog myrtle and other herbs?

moorearchaeology (1 year ago)

We added the yeast after cooling the wort in a bath for 3/4 hours and then, three days later, when the yeast had taken, we added the herbal ingredients by suspending the ground herbs in a muslin bag in the fermenting vessel – after three – four days it was all ready. You can read more on the moore group blog!

Headwave (1 year ago)

Lads that’s only magic and 99% right! I reserve the other 1% for all the other uses they have; Wool & Linen dying, Leather Production, and tentatively, Bathing, Sauna, Sweat lodge, evaporation of herbs for Medicinal cures and washing the dog. Great film and thank the ancestors for experimental archaeology and people with the Ale gene.

chilcox (1 year ago)

Amazing video. Brewing beer can be a bit intimidating with all the “specific gravity” and “infusion mashing” talk. Jeez Louise, just make beer for Pete’s sake. It doesn’t have to be all that complicated. I like the fact that you weren’t at all concerned about “pH levels” or the “final gravity” or any of that esoteric nonsense. It tastes different every time…and you’re okay with that. Anyway, I really enjoyed it….same goes for the Moore Group website, lots of good info. Thanks for posting.

grofaz1939 (1 year ago)

F—in’ Magic and dead right on!

AllanCav (1 year ago)

Ha ha legends! I love the slurry arkeeollologicalal essplanashun at the end.

oxman0313 (9 months ago)

I would say that you are dead on. I think the irish made beer before anything. Go Beer.

jahfish42 (8 months ago)

Nice idea! But from all the excavated troughs, have we ever had grain in any quantity? Surely it would be spilt everywhere?

mooregroupgalway (8 months ago)

Have a look at our blog at wordpress – google moore groups blog – We’ve been asked this question before – click on the beer category – and you’ll find loads of info on it – anecdotally we’ve heard that even on sites where you would expect a great deal of grain residue there’s none.

jahfish42 (8 months ago)


now mead or something similar – now you’re talking – this mght leave no obvious residue. But then why the need for the trough…..

fjorukrain04 (6 months ago)Reply

it you used a trough buried in the ground it would keep the temperature more stable, it would also be at a better height for working. plus it you made legs for the hrough there is a chance of it tipping over, and in my mind there are very few things worse then spilling that much good beer

gargoylesama (7 hours ago)

The spent grain could have easily been fed to livestock. The local craft brewery here has a farmer that comes by and picks up the spent grain for his cows. Waste not want not was more than an idea in earlier periods. Sometimes it was a matter of survival.

juamei (8 months ago)


Beer done easy!
Where would the Bronze Age folk get the natural yeast from?

mooregroupgalway (8 months ago)

@juamei – Again, have a read of the blog for more info on the process – Yeast exists in the air – it’s entirely plausible that natural air-borne yeast can infect your wort. The first brew we did, we left the remains of the wort in the pit overnight and by the following day air-borne yeast was already acting on it. Yeast is everywhere, the secret of a good beer is finding the right one and ensuring consistency over time – google Belgian Lambic beer for a modern example.

gargoylesama (7 hours ago)

It is also known that they would use risen bread dough as a starter of sorts. Ale yeast and bread yeast are of the same genus and species, so it is not a far stretch

jstema (3 months ago)


theplainsman6 (2 months ago)

“Give us the flaw”

What? Flaw? Beer and meat cooked on a stick? Flaw? What?

Sounds like a fucking barbeque to me.

No Responses to “Comments on the beer at YouTube”

  1. Love it. That Allancav seems like a witty guy. Congrats on the new arrival Declan!

  2. declan says:

    Thanks Allan. Young Moore and mother all well and healthy…

Leave a Reply